As we near the end of 2020, I’ve been reflecting on the chaos and struggle of this year. Storms have been raging in 2020, literally (a record-breaking year for natural disasters) and figuratively. A global pandemic rages on, our national is reckoning with deeply rooted systemic racism, the November election has been one of the most contentious and litigated in history, and our country feels more divided than ever…plus, we’re each struggling with our own entrepreneurial and personal challenges amidst fear and uncertainty.
Most of us have been so busy adapting to massive change, dealing with crises and putting our heads down to survive, we haven’t had much time to reflect. There has been so much pain and trauma in 2020, many of us are ready to fast forward to 2021. But, if we don’t create space to reflect on all that’s happened this year, we miss a valuable opportunity to bring more meaning to our lives that can fuel our growth and move us forward into the New Year.
Take a few moments to reflect on these questions before you press the fast forward button to 2021:
- What hard things have I done in 2020 that I didn’t know I could do?
- What am I most proud of about 2020?
- What are the most important things I learned about my business and myself in 2020?
- What will I take with me into 2021?
When we’re struggling, we may think that being strong means buckling down, hanging on tighter, and holding it all together. We might equate strength with something solid, even rigid. Yet, in hurricane winds, it’s the palm trees that survive because they bend, instead of break. In nature, strength equates to durability, softness and flexibility.
The storms aren’t over yet. As we head into 2021, reflect on the following:
- Where do you need to become softer and more flexible? Is it an attitude or belief about your business, yourself, someone else, or a group of people?
- What can you do to support yourself, so you can bend, instead of break? What does your human spirit need? What does your mind need? What does your body need?
Storms are powerful phenomena. They destroy the order and regularity of our world and lives. They destroy the old. And, in doing so, they pave a new path forward, bringing change, growth and possibility.
May you stay safe and well and find many joyous moments to celebrate this holiday season!
With deep love and gratitude,